Brechin United Church
History 1888 - Present
- The land for the present church building was purchased from Mary O'Neil on the 29th of March, 1888 for One Hundred and Fifty dollars
- On July, 30th 1889 a mortgage of $1650.00 was taken out for the construction of the then known Wesleyan Methodist Church.
- Men signing for the then known Methodist Church were James Kelly, William Kelly, Salathiel Prophet, Silvanus Prophet, George Ruttle, and William McPhee
- In 1918, anticipating union of Methodist and Presbyterian churches, Brechin joined with the local Presbyterian churches
Wesleyan Methodist (former name of Brechin United)
Brechin United Congregation in the 1940's
- Brechin joined with Bolsover and became part of the Beaverton circuit
- 1917, Brechin united with Gamebridge Presbyterian Church and this was known as the Gamebridge circuit
- Brechin congregation voted for union in 1925 and thus became independant of the Beaverton/Gambridge Circuit. At this time Rev. Wm G. Rose took up residence in Brechin to serve the newly formed united congregation. He was acccomodated in the pasonage, now known as the Old Manse
- For a short period in 1930, H.B. Herrington, then D.R. Clare served the Brechin Church as well as their own circuit of Atherley, Fairvalley and Udney
- In 1933 The Brechin Pastoral Charge was formed to include Atherley United Church, Brechin United Church, and Udney United Church
- 1941, A bell was donated and installed in the bell tower
- Two wood stoves were replaced with an Oil Furnace and Central Forced Air Heating Installed in the year 1949
Aerial photo of Brechin United with old bell tower and before wheelchair accessibility
- 1951, The shed for horses was demolished and a Church hall with small kitchen was constructed on the west end.
Pictured are former Sunday school teachers being presented with a special decorative centenial plate on May 29th, 1988
- 1991, Present kitchen and bathroom were added.
- 1997, Old Kitchen renovated to form small meeting and Choir room. Church office was also constructed where old washrooms had been
- 1999, New steps and Wheelchair ramp were constructed. The bell tower was removed due to deterioration.
- 2001, New Stained glass windows were donated and installed in the memory of Brechin United members.
(see gallery for pictures)
- 2002, Udney Church closed and its pews replaced those in Brechin, also new gas furnace replaced oil in sanctuary.
- 2004 New gas furnace replaced oil furnace in hall
Brechin United present day
Blue Christmas at Brechin United
Easter Congregation 2008